Friday, June 12, 2009

BMM SPOTLIGHT: Billy Broadway, Part 2



(Continued ... Go HERE to see the first half of the interview)





Close calls in a Texas snowstorm, touring and performing with some of the best in the industry, and learning the business through the first-hand account of the rise, fall and return of a local favorite – BILLY BROADWAY has seen and done a lot so far. But there’s one huge hurdle he’s still trying to clear:

Getting support from his hometown.

In a city where some say “hatin’ in a hobby,” this artist, who grew up in Cedar Grove, has done his best to support local acts, events and people. And he’s just looking for a return on his life-long investment.

Most SBC’ers know BILLY BROADWAY as that extra-talkative brotha who calls into a radio show every morning to show and spread love. But he wants them to know him as the artist who grew a following, and put Shreveport in a positive light, through the power of his music.




ME: What’s the hardest part about being in the entertainment business?

BB: Lack of respect in artistry, if that’s a word. There are really talented songwriters and talented performers, but they don't' get to shine because you have 75 dance records on the radio -- and that’s all (people) wanna hear. Then (people) wonder why the world is the way it is.

Music is designed to touch people. When I used to pop in an Outkast CD, or a Goodie Mob CD, it helped me make it through school or whatever I was going through. ‘Cause they were talking about something.

But now, you pop in a CD and all they wanna do is dance. And then the record labels want you to make nothing but club CDs -- but I'm not a club type person. I go to the club, but I want to make records that will change the world ... and have people saying "Ok i can make it through this" ...

Honestly, I just think DJs need to do their job ... and I mean CLUB DJs. I want them to start being DJs again. Not DJs that wanna be a rapper or want a cameo in the video or don't wanna do something ‘cause you think somebody's gonna steal your shine. Set yourself apart -- Play what the other DJs won't! (seek out new and different music).

I have one DJ that plays my stuff -- DJ Slim plays my records at GiGi's and that's the only place I really go ... the rest (of the local DJs) are cliquish. They have the power, but won't do it; especially if its' not benefitting them

But artists can still get their shine. The entertainment business is do-it-yourself now. You can go online and sell your records, so nothing's hard but you gotta get out there and do it yourself. You don't have to wait for the record companies to do what you do.



ME: Well we all know the grind is hard on the national level (with major labels), but what about on a smaller level? How hard is it being a local, independent artist?

BB: Well, I have always worked out of Shreveport, doing my music. But, you flip on the radio and there's only certain (local) artists being played. But (speaking to the DJs) what about the local people you hear about all the time? Why don't you reach out to the artist and send them an e-mail and request a CD or song?

(DJs) want you to kiss their butt, but they aren’t doing their job. They are supposed to go find music. They're not real DJ's anymore because they don't seek out what's hot locally.

The game is all about numbers now, and u should want to support (local artists) and help them get their numbers -- but they don't. They want to play their friends or their artists from where they come from or the ones they promote and that's how it is.

The talented people in Shreveport never got the shine they needed to get. That's the truth. Talented people never get their due in this city.


Shreveport, whatever you support is what you get back. If you support garbage, you're gonna get garbage!

There's a lotta people y'all need to sit down and listen to ... but y'all just wanna dance all the time ... You don't listen to lyrics anymore .. Y'all listen to a person who pop a pill and go make a five-minute song ... and it's the “da bomb” to y'all.

But y’all don’t realize you have the power. Just like American Idol -- Y'all have the power (to make someone famous). And sometimes y'all mess it up!


And I'mma say this -- and Black people, I don't care if you get mad -- Shout out to the white people! They're my number one customers! White people and Mexicans!

If I put out a record and I go look at my Soundscan, I get upset because Shreveport will have like 5 and in New York, I have a thousand.

The same thing happened with Profyle. They were wondering how everyone had an album but it wasn't Soundscanned, and that’s because people – in their hometown! -- were burning the CD and not buying it. People way in New York were the ones keeping them #1 on Billboard!


ME: So what do you think is the key to changing all that and helping local artists get their due?

BB: Education is the key. Some people have the power --- have the ball in their hand -- but use it for selfish reasons.

We need to educate our people. We need to help them understand how music works, and then I think it'll be better. Other cities are having conferences -- like Dallas --- and end up getting artists on. (Those artists) may be one-hit wonders but they got on!! We just have to come together to make it happen.

Everyone loves the Lil’ Waynes and Gucci Manes, but (those artists) don't come here because promoters don't pay them their money. Promoters need to educate themselves too. Stop doing promotions for the money! Please, you’re your money and invest in sound and lights! Put on a GOOD SHOW. Then people see that and they'll come back and support you!! That’s real.


ME: Okay so we’ve heard your advice/plea to the powers that be, now what advice would you offer to artists aspiring to get into the business?

BB: Same thing -- Get educated. And make sure you know who God is. I know for a fact that God is the reason a lot of stuff has happened for me (talking to the right people and being in the right place). You gotta believe in something to make it in this business.

So for the people that wanna do it ... just educate yourself! Take a business class. Network. Make friends with a lawyer -- because somebody has to read a contract! Education and learning the business is important. If you don't do that, you’re gonna be bent over with no vaseline!




ME: OKAY!!! (laughing) Let’s move on to something more pleasant. :) What’s the best part about being in the business?

BB: The FANS -- like you -- that be like "Can I do a story on you?" I try to stay humble but I'm like "Yeah!!" (he blushes and grins).

For me the best part is fans, kids and family – ‘cause that’s where your support comes from. Well God first, then the rest.

Oh! and let me give a shout out to the rent lady ... ‘cause she's really been holding me down!!

But back to the best part – the fans. There ain't nothing like the street grind ‘cause you get to meet people and interact with them. They'll sit and talk for hours.

I've had people pass by this Circle K and stop, and come back to tell me they liked (my music). I try to stay humble but on the inside I'm excited.

This is how you get to interact with your customer and tell them Thank You, instead of them having to go to a store. They want to meet who they're supporting.



ME: Is this what you always wanted to do? Be an entertainer?

BB: Actually, I went to school for Secondary Education. I wanted to work with kids. I had no idea I'd be interacting with kids like this ... on this level.

But it’s good because kids are looking up to me. I take my rapping and flip it into other things. I pull them in with the rap and then when they sit and talk to me, they realize "Dude, you’re really something different!"

That’s why I'm on MySpace, and all that, sharing a thought of the day or sharing something uplifting that could help (someone) make it through the day. I use my gift for the good.


ME: So tell me about this Mix Tape you’re pushing right now...

BB: It’s called the Southern Grind, mixed by/featuring Go-DJ Shawny (from Houston). It’s available online (for download) on Rhapsody and Amazon. It’s accessible, and a lot of people play me because they can access it online.






ME: What kind of feedback are you getting from this one?

BB: Positive. I always tell people -- if you buy my CD and you don't like it, come back and tell me I need to stop rapping. And people do come back and give me a review! Fortunately, I haven't had a bad complaint yet!


ME: That’s great! So what’s next on your music agenda?

BB: An unnamed solo project. I don’t know what to call it yet. Maybe “Billy Broadway: Live from the Strip” or “Billy Broadway Been Here”. I want my fans to give me a name. I’m working on that right now.


ME: And what producers will you be working with on this album?

BB: Navajo!! I'm working with what got me here and made me hot. A lot of people go out and get someone else ‘cause they feel the album ain't hot or the producer ain't making them hot – but maybe its you!

But I want to keep it local. I want my CD to say “Made in Shreveport” or “Made In The 318” or “Homegrown”.



ME: Maybe that’s your title!
BB: Maybe!!!

ME: When do you plan to release that?

BB: I’m shooting for the beginning of 2010. I want 100,000 (sold) the first week, so I’ll be grinding hard.


ME: Will your solo project be released by Rap-A-Lot?

BB: If Rap-A-Lot likes the project, that’s cool; but if they don't, I have the option to take it elsewhere. And it’s good to have that option.
I personally think independent is the way to go, because you see a LOT more money that way. Like $5 (per unit) as opposed to 50 cents.


ME: On this project, or any future one, what artists would you like to work with?

BB: I’mma be honest about this one -- Bun B is really the only major artist I want to work with on my first project. I really want to work with local artists that need their shine.

A lot of local artists get on and want to work with other people outside of their area. I wanna work with Bulletproof, and people like
KP, L-Jai and Navajo, Wild Yella (“I'm Feelin' Myself").

I want it to be full of local artists. I want it to be a totally local album. Then when other albums come along I may go to artists out of the state.



ME: With all your experience and advice, do you see yourself goin into management one day or becoming an executive?

BB: I probably will go into management. Especially since I'm doing it for myself. I'm the Street Team, the manager, the Promotions Manager, the CEO, the COO, the distributor ... I’m all that right now.

You have to be a special person to be a manager, because us artists are not the easiest people to work with. We really have problems. We really do.
(we both laugh). We need monthly evaluations! I don't care the age, we're really special people to deal with.


ME: What’s your ultimate goal?

BB: To give my city the respect and due it deserves. I'm out here on the grind for those artists that want to do it and can't yet. I want to make an easier path for them. We're not in New York. We can't just walk up to Universal or Warner Brothers or whatever. I just want to make the path easier for other artists.




BILLY BROADWAY needs your help in becoming a household name in the 318.


Whether you just go online and listen to his music (go HERE to check him out), Request his music on your radio (fans have formed a group on Facebook to get him radio play ... “Money Can’t" and “2 Cold” are my personal favorites; Buy a Mix Tape (go HERE to cop one), or Support him at a show (he’ll be performing at the Marche’ Group Mixer on June 19th at Encore) ...



A little hometown love goes a long way.






(story written, published and copyrighted by mahogani media 2009)

No comments: